Savor garden-fresh ingredients with a new twist on the grilled cheese sandwich!
Summertime is full of so many possibilities in the kitchen with so many fresh
ingredients! Hy-Vee dietitian Lindsay Nelson shows viewers how to use
ingredients from the garden to liven up a grilled cheese sandwich.
Grilled Cheese Tomato Pesto Sandwich
Makes 5 sandwiches.
All you need:
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 4 large or 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for pesto)
- 10 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided (for pan)
- 10 slices whole wheat bread
- 5 slices mozzarella cheese, divided
- 20 tomato slices, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper, optional, to taste
All you do:
1. For pesto: Put basil in a food processor with garlic, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, parsley and salt.
Pulse until finely chopped. Slowly add ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil while the food processor is
running. Set aside.
2. Drizzle or spray 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
3. To make one sandwich: spread 1 tablespoon pesto on a slice of bread. On top of the pesto, add
1 slice mozzarella cheese, 2 slices tomatoes and, if desired, salt and pepper. Place another slice
of bread on top to complete the sandwich. Place the sandwich in the skillet, browning on both
sides until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 for the other 4 sandwiches.
Source: Hy-Vee dietitians