Free flu shot clinics offered in KCK and KCMO
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — It’s almost October which means it’s almost flu season. Plenty of vaccine is available now, and some of it is free.
Rosemary Milton heard at church that she had a “shot” at free protection.
“I live close by and it’s a great public service for the community,” she said.
The Mid America Immunization Coalition, a program of the Mother and Child Health Coalition, gave free flu shots Monday at the Jack Reardon Convention Center. It’s the first of many free clinics on both sides of the state line. The clinics are for people seven and older in Kansas and 12 and older in Missouri. Federal tax money paid for the vaccine. Walgreens’ pharmacists volunteered to give the shots at these clinics.
The emphasis is on reaching the underinsured and uninsured including fast food workers.
“They show up for work healthy or sick, and if they show with flu, then that’s not good for public health,” said Regina Weir of the Mid America Immunization Coalition.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends vaccination for everyone six months and older. Remember last flu season? Adults in their twenties and thirties were especially hard hit. Some were critically ill.
“There were a lot more people who were really down for longer periods of time,” said Ramona Miller who received a shot Monday.
There are lots of flu vaccine options now including a higher dose shot for seniors. Some vaccines protect against four strains instead of the usual three. For the first time, the CDC says it prefers the nasal spray vaccine for healthy kids ages two through eight. But if it’s unavailable, go ahead and get the shot for your child.
“Whatever you have access to, get it because the flu season is here, and the flu can be a killer,” said Weir.
Other free flu shot clinics will be held:
- Monday-Friday Oct. 5th-9th – 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Mexican Consulate, 1617 Baltimore Ave, Kansas City, MO 64108 (Ages 12 and up)
- Tuesday, Oct. 6th – 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at KCK Community College, 7250 State, Kansas City, KS 66112 (Ages 7 and up)
- Thursday, Oct 8th – 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at KCK Community College, 7250 State, Kansas City, KS 66112 (Ages 7 and up)
- Thursday, Oct 15th – 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Walgreens at Research Medical Center, 2340 E Meyer Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64132 (Ages 12 and up)
- Thursday, Oct 22nd – 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. at St. Mark Child Development Center, 2008 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64127 (Ages 12 and up)
- Friday, Nov. 3, 2015 – 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Walgreens Pharmacy, 3845 Broadway, Kansas City MO 64111 (Ages 12 and up)