KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A special prosecutor announced Thursday that former Kansas City Councilman Michael Brooks will not face charges related to allegations by his council aide that he choked and assaulted her.
“Michael is extremely happy that this is over with. We are not surprised in the least that no charges were filed, it is what we expected based on the evidence and Michael’s statements about what happened,” said Brooks’ attorney, John Picerno Thursday afternoon.
Last month, Brooks resigned his seat, citing concern for his family, colleagues, church and the citizens of Kansas City.
“Due to the ongoing media circus, and out of concern for my family, loved ones, colleagues, church members and citizens of Kansas City, as well as myself, I believe it is in everyone’s best interest to take this action at this time,” he said in a letter, which was addressed to Mayor Sly James, the city manager and council, offering his resignation.
Brooks’ aide, had worked for Brooks for several years. She told police that Brooks assaulted her on Nov 4. She said Brooks grabbed her by her hair and dragged her into his office where he proceeded to choke her using his hands and her belt.
“Unfortunately, because of the allegations made by his legislative aide Miss Titus, it has been increasingly difficult for Michael to perform his duties on behalf of his constituents of Kansas City,” Brooks’ attorney said.
Brooks said Titus’ version of the story is untrue. He said she became angry when he informed her he was planning to seek another legislative aide to perform her duties.
Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd was appointed special prosecutor to determine charges in the case. He planned a 2 p.m. news conference to discuss the decision.
Turn to FOX 4 News at 5 and 6 p.m. for new information; and refresh this page for updates online.