Makes 8 servings
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 large broccoli crowns
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ teaspoons canola oil
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce low-fat cheddar cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse and peel onion, potato, garlic, and carrot.
- Rinse broccoli and celery.
- Dice onion and celery.
- Slice potato and carrots into thin slices.
- Cut broccoli florets away from the stem. Slice stems thinly.
- Mince the garlic and grate the cheese.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add celery and onion. Cook until soft and lightly golden brown, about 6–8 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook about 30 seconds more.
- Add potato, carrot, broccoli stems, bay leaf, milk, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets in the last 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In a blender, puree about half the soup.
- Return blended soup to pot.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper. Simmer to melt the cheese, 2–3 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per 1 ½ cup serving: calories, 90; protein, 6 g; carbohydrate 12 g; total fat, 2.5 g. (saturated fat, 1 g); sodium 310mg; fiber, 2 g.
Source: Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters for Adults®