Gates Bar-B-Q closed due to chimney fire, expected to reopen

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Gates Bar-B-Q at 12th and Brooklyn remained closed at the noon hour after a fire sparked on the roof early Friday morning.

Firefighters were called out at about 3:45 a.m. and found a fire in the chimney, caused by build-up of debris int he smokestack. Firefighters were able to put it out quickly.

An employee inside smoking meats didn’t realize there was a fire until firefighters arrived on the scene.

There was no physical damage to the inside of the restaurant, just smoke damage.

In February, the Gates Bar-B-Q restaurant located near the Truman Sports Complex in Independence was destroyed by a more serious fire. A restaurant worker called 911 to report that an exhaust hood over the grill had caught fire. That employee escaped unharmed. Firefighters say they had difficulty battling the blaze because of bitter cold that caused water to freeze quickly, and they had inadequate water pressure to fight the fire.