Remember: The victims of the Parkland, Fla. school shooting

Employees describe evacuation of ad agency due to carbon monoxide threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Three construction workers, working on a building at ad agency Sullivan, Higdon and Sink ended up in the hospital, with carbon monoxide poisoning Monday.

One was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

While none of the employees at the ad agency, located in the crossroads near 20th and Central, were affected enough to end up in the hospital, many of them told FOX 4’s Shannon O’Brien they didn't feel so great Monday, and had no idea why, until firefighters showed up and kicked them out of the building.

"I felt a little weird, a little bit jittery and I thought maybe I just had too much coffee," said SH&S Employee Raven Hubbard. "Now I don't know if it had something to do with the carbon monoxide.”

Hubbard wasn't feeling well and was in the ladies’ room when she heard strange sounds in the hallway. It turns out it was firefighters evacuating the 80 employees from the building.

"They we're running around, very serious, they were seeing people grabbing their belongings from their desks and they weren't having any of that, so it was definitely frightening and nerve racking seeing how serious they were taking it,” said Dan McCauley, another SH&S employee.

Firefighter say power tools being used in the basement by a construction crew put off carbon monoxide that poisoned the air to 1,300 parts per million, which is 26 times what is considered to be safe.

While one of the construction workers was taken out in critical condition, he is responding well to treatment and all three victims are now in stable condition, and expected to be ok.