Nine people safe after KCMO home catches on fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A family is safe after their home went up in flames early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters say the fire started around 1 a.m. at a home along Donnelly Avenue near James A Reed Road and E. 99th Street.

There were nine people inside of the home, including three children. One of the people in the home said they smelled smoke and eventually saw the fire before waking everyone up.

“All I seen was a friend of the family said they heard something in back of the house that popped," Brenda White said. "I looked out my bedroom window all I seen was fire. So I told everybody to get out.”

Everyone was able to get out of the home safely.

The fire reignited in the attic around 4 a.m., but firefighters were able to put out that hot spot.

The extent of damage is not clear.