Mizzou football coach Gary Pinkel resigning at the end of the season

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- University of Missouri head football coach Gary Pinkel announced he's going to resign at the end of the 2015 season. The decision is health-based according to a release from the athletic department; Pinkel was diagnosed with a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma cancer of the blood this past May.

Pinkel received treatment in May and June, and after doctors told him that treatments wouldn't keep him from coaching, he decided to continue for this season.

"I made the decision in May, after visiting with my family, that I wanted to keep coaching, as long as I felt good and had the energy I needed," Pinkel stated in the release. "I felt great going into the season, but also knew that I would need to re-assess things at some point."

"I still feel good physically, but I decided that I want to focus on enjoying my remaining years with my family and friends, and also have proper time to battle the disease and give full attention to that," he continued.

In 15 seasons at Mizzou, Pinkel has gone 117-71 and is the program's all-time leader in wins. The Tigers appeared in two Big 12 Conference Championship games and two Southeastern Conference Championship games during his tenure. Mizzou has appeared in 10 bowl games since he took over, winning six.

In 2007 he led the school to its first #1 ranking since 1960 and was named Big 12 Coach of the Year. He also transitioned the program into the SEC, struggling to a 5-7 record in 2012, but bounced back to win 12 games in 2013 and 11 in 2014. He was named the SEC Coach of the Year in 2014.

The Tigers play BYU on Saturday night at Arrowhead Stadium. Pinkel says he will address questions about his resignation after the game.

Reactions to the announcement are in the liveblog below:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20157:05 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20156:53 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20156:40 pm

Statement from Michael Middleton, interim president, University of Missouri System:
Coach Pinkel has worked tirelessly to elevate the prominence of the MU football program and in the process was an extraordinary role model to the student athletes he coached and to those around him. We commend him on his years of service and for the winning football program he built that elevated the university with national recognition. His commitment to his players and the University of Missouri will be recalled for generations to come. Just as he has always supported his players, the University of Missouri community stands by him.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Coach Pinkel and his family

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20155:09 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20155:05 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:36 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:31 pm

Outgoing University of Missouri Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:22 pm

Statement from Missouri Governor Jay Nixon:

“Coach Pinkel’s decision to step down due to his diagnosis of lymphoma is sad news for the Tigers and the entire Mizzou family,” Gov. Nixon said.  “My friend Gary Pinkel is an outstanding coach and educator. Through his leadership and commitment, Gary has made a positive and lasting impact on the lives of thousands of students and the university as a whole. Gary inspires respect and admiration for all the right reasons – not only for being the winningest coach in Mizzou history, but also for his dedication to the wellbeing of his players, both on and off the field.  The First Lady and I wish Gary and his wife Missy all the best in the future.”

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:19 pm

Bishop Miege standout Shane Ray:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:17 pm

Chiefs backup quarterback and Heisman finalist at Mizzou Chase Daniel:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:14 pm

Chiefs receiver and former Mizzou All-American Jeremy Maclin:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:11 pm

Former running back Henry Josey:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:11 pm

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:10 pm

Former Olathe North player Lucas Vincent:

Andrew Lynch November 13, 20154:06 pm

Statement from the chair of the University of Missouri Board of Curators Donald Cupps:

“I was surprised and
saddened when I received the news of Gary Pinkel’s resignation, especially as
he battles for his health. I learned of Gary’s health condition and his
decision to resign Tuesday evening. Due to the nature of the conversation, the
Board wished to respect Gary’s wishes and did not divulge this information, in
order to allow him to tell his team and staff of the news before the
announcement was made.

MU’s football team has
earned tremendous accolades and victories under Gary’s leadership. The Board
asks that you keep Gary and his family in your thoughts and
prayers.”