Judge: Man accused in KC 9/11 memorial bomb plot not competent for trial

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Joshua Goldberg (Photo courtesy of the Daily Mail)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A federal judge has determined that a Florida man accused of sending bomb-making plans to an FBI informant for an alleged attack on the 9/11 anniversary is not mentally competent enough to stand trial.

Joshua Goldberg, 20,  is charged with distributing information relating to explosives and weapons of mass destruction. At a hearing Monday in Jacksonville federal court, a judge ordered him to complete a more thorough four-month evaluation.

Earlier this month, a psychologist found Goldberg not mentally sound enough for trial. She said Goldberg suffers from a mental disorder that impairs his ability to understand what is happening.

The FBI says Goldberg called for an attack on a contest for drawings of the Prophet Muhammad in Garland, Texas, and boasted about helping plan attacks on synagogues in Australia. Goldberg was arrested in September.