Homeowner says alleged child endangerment incident prompted city to shut off utilities

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Court documents call a Northland home unlivable, and outline the charges a mother is facing after her 1-year-old was found wandering alone Saturday.

It happened along Northeast 44th Terrace in Kansas City. Sarah Stroud, 21, has been charged with child endangerment, possession of a controlled substance, non-aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

Stroud is not the only one being impacted by the alleged incident. She was staying at the home of Leslie Wiggins when documents say her 1-year-old child was found alone in the street.

“She’s never just gone to bed and let the kid run loose, so I don’t see that happening,” said Wiggins.

Wiggins and her husband were vacationing away from their home, and let Stroud stay there. Documents say police arrived Saturday to find the front door open, with Stroud sleeping in a back bedroom. They say she was hard to wake, and even kicked an officer in the leg three times when officers tried to handcuff her. The documents say at one point she told officers to leave and that she didn’t care that her child was in the street.

She told officers she took a sedative called Klonopin, that usually didn’t make her drowsy. Officers say they found marijuana, and said the home was filthy and not fit for human living.

“I think it was an overreaction. It’s not as bad as what they were saying,” said Wiggins.

It’s an overreaction she says caused the city to turn off her electricity and gas, although the city had not posted any signs condemning the home. Among the concerns, documents say the ceiling inside was caving, as well as part of the floor.

However, that didn’t appear to be the case, while a FOX 4 crew was inside the home. While Wiggins admits she’s not the best housekeeper, she says the home was far from unlivable, and that she’s been working to make repairs. That’s despite having minimal tools, and a disabled husband who suffered two heart attacks and a back surgery.

As for the little boy who got loose: “He’s doing great. He’s with family and he’s just fine and as rambunctious as can be,” said Wiggins.

She says with the fast feet and nimble fingers of a toddler, this situation could have happened to any parent. Wiggins says she’s still waiting for an inspector to come out and tell her what she needs to do to her home, which she expected to happen Tuesday.