Local family says Ikea recall hits close to home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ikea is recalling many of its popular dressers and chests, as at least six children have died when the furniture tips.

The Ikea recall includes 29-million pieces of furniture.

The company said that all chests and dressers should be attached to a wall to prevent them from toppling over.

Ikea is offering free kits to attach the chests and dressers to a wall, or you can get a refund.

The recall is national, but the impact is very local for one metro family.

They nearly lost a son when a table toppled onto him, so they took that frightening moment and turned it into a cause.

They’re encouraging others to be proactive when it comes to childproofing anywhere children may be.

Lisa Redlin recalled the day her son was injured by toppling furniture.

“School had just got out, so the kids were running out of the classroom, and there was a podium against the wall, like a one hundred pound podium, and another kid was hanging on the edge of it, and it tipped, and the other kid fell under it, and then it fell on his face,” Lisa recalled.

Nicholas Redlin, now 6 years old, was four when a table at his local church's preschool fell on top of him, landing centimeters from his eye.

“He had a skull fracture, a concussion, he broke 8 to 10 bones in his face, and he had a black eye and stitches," Lisa added.

John McCarthy is executive director of Charlie’s House. The organization's mission is to keep children safe in and around the home. He said stories like these and product recalls, like Ikea's, bring attention to the issue.

“What if that was your child? What if that was your grandchild? What if that was your loved one? Wouldn`t you be proactive if you knew that this was a possibility?” McCarthy added.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says every 24 minutes, a child in the United States goes to the E.R. because items tip over on them, things like furniture, T.Vs, and appliances.

“Since his accident I became more aware, but it`s not just houses, preschools, our daycares, anything like that, you want to make sure that any place that your child goes that everything is safe,” Lisa added.

“It takes something like this to come to light, to not only us, but our family members, our friends, people in the community that learn about it,” Nicholas's dad Dave said.

Since Nicholas’s accident, the school and the Redlins have secured all their furniture.

Nicholas now wears a hearing aid, because of hearing loss from the accident, but his parents said they're thankful he's alive, and want other parents to be proactive so this doesn't happen to another child.

“He went to that school for three years, and this happened, hundreds of kids walk by that same table and you don`t think it`s going to happen, and nobody thinks it`s going to happen to them, but it only takes one time,” Lisa warned.