Man electrocuted in front of his family while changing pool light

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Aerial view of swimming pool where man was shocked

PHOENIX — A 27-year-old man was electrocuted while changing a light in his swimming pool Monday afternoon in a Phoenix neighborhood.

“His wife and 3 (sic) children were there when he was attempting to change the pool light and was most likely electrocuted,” Capt. Reda Bigler of the Phoenix Fire Department said in an email alert to media outlets.

Firefighters responding to a reported drowning arrived on the scene to find the family trying pull the unidentified man from the water, Bigler said.

No other details were immediately available.

While draining a swimming pool generally is not required to change or repair the light, it is essential that the electricity powering the pool’s systems is turned off at the circuit breaker. Safety experts advise using a circuit tester to make sure there is no electricity to the light before doing anything.