Kansas City woman fighting cancer faces another misfortune when her house burns on Friday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A mid-afternoon fire drives a Kansas City woman from her home on Friday in the northeast part of the city.  Firefighters had a hard time getting to the fire from inside the house, so they had to attack it from the outside by busting through the roof of the home.

Glenda Higgins who lives in the house in the 4100 block of Norledge Avenue was making brownies Friday afternoon when her neighbors began pounding on her door, yelling and screaming that her house was on fire.

Higgins and her pets were able to get out, but her house which is not insured, was heavily damaged. Firefighters on scene say the fire started in the attic, possibly an electrical fire that had been burning for a while.

“I just don’t know what to say because I don't know what I'm gonna do. I’m in a position right now that just makes you wonder what do you do,” said Higgins, who has suffered a string of misfortune.

This fire happened as Higgins is taking on another monster that has so far, been unforgiving.

“For the last two years I have been fighting chemo. And I am still fighting it and all of this is just too much,” said Higgins through her tears.

Higgins feels fortunate to have family and friends who came rushing over when they heard about the fire.

She says they are the only things she has left, along with her fighting spirit.

On a fixed income, battling cancer and now homeless, Higgins says she will somehow overcome.

“I know I have to be strong and I have to be able to make it and I will. I am not a weak person. I’ll survive, I will get over it, but I’ll do it, I know I can,” Higgins said.

Higgins says she has the same type of cancer that Eric Berry had and he is her inspiration. She said if he can beat it and come back to play football, she can beat it too.