UK-based comedian Masai Graham’s one-liner “My dad suggested I register for a donor card, he’s a man after my own heart” won the title.
The best jokes were selected by a panel of 10 judges, who scoured festival venues in the Scottish capital for over a week, and were then put to 2,000 people who voted for their favorite.
Puns making light of Brexit and US presidential nominee Hillary Clinton also made the list.
The Fringe, as it is known, is billed as the largest arts festival in the world and has featured many comedians who would later go on to become household names, including Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
1. “My dad has suggested that I register for a donor card. He’s a man after my own heart.” — Masai Graham
2. “Why is it old people say “there’s no place like home”, yet when you put them in one…” — Stuart Mitchell
3. “I’ve been happily married for four years — out of a total of 10.” — Mark Watson
4. “Apparently 1 in 3 Britons are conceived in an IKEA bed which is mad because those places are really well lit.” — Mark Smith
5. “I went to a pub quiz in Liverpool, had a few drinks so wasn’t much use. Just for a laugh I wrote The Beatles or Steven Gerrard for every answer… came second.” — Will Duggan
6. “Brexit is a terrible name, sounds like cereal you eat when you are constipated.” — Tiff Stevenson
7. “I often confuse Americans and Canadians. By using long words.” — Gary Delaney
8. “Why is Henry’s wife covered in tooth marks? Because he’s Tudor.” — Adele Cliff
9. “Don’t you hate it when people assume you’re rich because you sound posh and went to private school and have loads of money?” — Annie McGrath
10. “Is it possible to mistake schizophrenia for telepathy, I hear you ask.” — Jordan Brookes
11. “Hillary Clinton has shown that any woman can be President, as long as your husband did it first.” — Michelle Wolf
12. “I spotted a marmite van on the motorway. It was heading yeastbound.” — Roger Swift
13. “Back in the day, Instagram just meant a really efficient drug dealer.” — Arthur Smith
14. “I’ll tell you what’s unnatural in the eyes of God. Contact lenses.” — Zoe Lyons
15. “Elton John hates ordering Chinese food. Soya seems to be the hardest word.” — Phil Nicol