Kansas man, 22, beat victim, left her to die when she wouldn’t have sex without condom: Johnson County affidavit

Korrey Rinke, 22, of Ottawa, Kan., was charged on Thursday, Sept. 1 in the death of  Julianna Pappas.

Korrey Rinke, 22, of Ottawa, Kan., was charged on Thursday, Sept. 1 in the death of Julianna Pappas.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A 22-year-old man charged with capital murder and rape in the death of Juilanna Pappas, 46, reportedly admitted to police that he punched Pappas repeatedly when she wouldn’t have sex with him without a condom, and then left her for dead at a park, according to court documents.

If found guilty of the capital murder charge, Korrey Rinke could be sentenced to death.

Julianna Pappas

Julianna Pappas

Pappas was reported missing by her roommate on August 23. Her body was found August 31 in a wooded area south of W. 115th between Switzer Road and Indian Creek Parkway in Overland Park.

According to the affidavit, Korrey Rinke was seen allegedly tampering with an electronic bicycle that belonged to Pappas and was parked at Quintiles, 6700 W 115th St., a clinical research company. Pappas had been participating in clinical research trials there. Surveillance video showed Pappas leaving Quintiles on August 22 in a blue vehicle.

Rinke drives a blue vehicle, according to police.

When police first spoke to Rinke they claim he seemed nervous and denied that Pappas was in his car, then admitted she was in his car.

In a follow-up interview with Rinke, police say they read him his Miranda rights and he agreed to tell them about Pappas. Police say he told them that he and Pappas had been driving around together and purchased alcohol. According to the affidavit, he told police they were going to have sex but when she learned he did not have a condom, she said no.

Rinke reportedly then admitted to police that he forced her to have sex. Police say he admitted punching her and believed he broke her arm when he assaulted her. He allegedly said he left her in the park, injured and described her as ‘gurgling’ from her injuries.  Police say Rinke told them he did not believe she would survive her injuries.

According to police, Rinke went back to the area four days later to make sure she was dead, but could not find her.

Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe says the murder charge was elevated to capital status because  Pappas was killed during or after the act of another felony, being raped.

Rinke is behind bars on a $1 million bond.