Hose comes loose during delivery, causes chemical acid spill at Hiland Dairy on Emanuel Cleaver

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- HAZMAT crews rushed to a local dairy overnight Sunday after employees reported a bad odor.

The crews were dispatched just after 1 a.m., to Hiland Dairy on Emanuel Cleaver.

Employees reported smelling very strong fumes.  They described it as a foul smell coming from one of the refrigeration units. Hiland Dairy contacted the Kansas City, Mo., fire department and reported that they had some sort of a chemical acid spill due to a hose disconnecting during a delivery.

HAZMAT from Kansas City, Mo., and Kansas City, Kan., arrived on scene.

Emergency workers spent nearly two hours making sure the scene was secure and the spill was isolated.

By 3 a.m., the scene was clear of all emergency workers and employees were allowed back inside.

No one was hurt and all employees were accounted for.