Kansas City family struggles telling 4-year-old about her mom’s sudden death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- One minute last Saturday afternoon, 29-year-old Sierra Rucker was crossing a busy road near Cleveland and 68th Street to catch a bus and go to work at an area Goodwill store

However, witnesses told police in the blink of an eye, the young mom stepped into the path of an oncoming car. Police say the driver of the grey Lexus just didn't have any time to stop.

"I just can't believe it. I talked to my baby on Saturday and then 15, 20 minutes later I get a call that my daughter was in a bad accident. I quickly left my home in Atlanta and had to get here to see my baby," said a crying Tonya Canady.

Canady says by the time she made it to a Kansas City hospital she just couldn't believe what she saw.

"My daughter fractured her skull, broke her pelvis, broke her back and leg when she got hit by that car. I just knew there was no way she could make it," said Canady.

Early Sunday, a shell-shocked Tonya Canady asked doctors to remove Sierra off life support and let her go.

"I lost my baby, my friend and nobody can replace that. It is so hard right now. I'm just struggling to understand it, " Canady told FOX 4's Robert Townsend during an interview at her relative's home.

"Sierra was so much fun, very loving and always had jokes. Everybody loved her. She was especially just crazy about her four year old daughter, Arries. Arries has no idea what happened to her mother and now this afternoon I have to tell her that she will never see her mama anymore. My God that's double-hard," added Canady.

"How do you tell a 4-year-old that her mom is not coming back? I just cannot believe it. All I can say is that we lost an angel. The other night her daughter asked me is my mama dead? I just couldn't take hearing her asked me that. All I can say is I know Sierra's in heaven right now and I just keep on praying that we will get through this and somehow it's going to get better," said Cynthia Wilson, Sierra's cousin.

Sierras family is also struggling to pay for her funeral which they hope to have next week.

Anyone who wishes to make a donation can go to a GoFundMe page, or call the Dwayne E. Harvey Funeral Home at (816) 763-9100 and make a pledge over the telephone.