KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Fall is all about football, fashion and comfort food. Chef Jason Finnerty of Urban Table visited FOX 4 to share his recipe for chicken fried short rib and what his restaurant is doing on Halloween.
Urban Table’s Chicken Fried Short Rib
Served with roasted heirloom carrots, smashed potato & short rib
-8 short ribs (bone on)
-salt and pepper to taste
-4 tbsp. olive oil
-1 qt. chicken stock
-1 qt. beef stock
-2 cups white wine
-2 cups red wine
-4 carrots (rough chop)
-4 stalks of celery (rough chop)
-2 yellow onions (rough chop)
-10 garlic cloves
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tbsp. salt
-1 tbsp. pepper
-1 tsp. smoked paprika
-1 tsp. cayenne pepper
-1/4 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Season short ribs liberally with salt and pepper
3. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet until it begins to smoke and sear short ribs on all sides
4. Place short ribs in a deep pan for braising
5. Add vegetables to the cast iron pan and cook till slightly soft
6. Add wine and reduce till it starts to thicken
7. Add stocks
8. Pour everything from the cast iron skillet into the pan with the short ribs, cover with foil and cook for 6 hours
9. Strain liquid and reserve vegetables, place liquid and 1 cup of the vegetables in a blender. Puree until smooth.
10. Drench short rib in flour and egg mixture and once again in the flour. Fry till crispy.
Sign up to receive a weekly email from FOX 4 with the recipes we featured on our FOX 4 newscasts.
Click here to add your name to the list.