Fans clear our smoky classroom after Staley H.S. student’s phone overheats, catches fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It's quite a story and makes for chatter all day long.

"Everyone was excited, they’ve never seen that before so it was all hype," said Cam Holmes. "It just blew up. It left a stain on the floor and all the hallways were smokey and stinky and stuff."

According to Clark Mershon, principal at Staley High School, a student's Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone caught fire in a classroom on Thursday.

"All is well, except for the phone," said Mershon in an email.

The school called the student's parents and the class was relocated to the library. Director of Media and Public Relations for North Kansas City Schools, Susan Hiland, tells FOX 4 they put a fan in the room because of the smoke-smell.

"But as of now, air is clear; will be cleaned as needed," Hiland said.

In October, Samsung announced an expanded voluntary recall on all original and replacement Galaxy Note7 devices sold or exchanged in the United States in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and in partnership with carriers and retailers. Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk, Samsung asked consumers with a Galaxy Note7 to power it down and contact the carrier or retail outlet where they purchased their device. There have also been reports of Galaxy S7 devices catching fire as well as Galaxy S7 Edge. 

Students at one area university are being told to leave their Samsung phone at home. Rockhurst University sent a letter to students letting them know that Galaxy Note Seven phones are banned from campus -- even from students' cars.