Neighbors describe gun battle that prompted record Kansas City police response

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- “It could’ve been anybody in the area, the bullets were flying,” retired Sergeant First Class Dennis Hill said.

Hill wasn't talking about his time in the U.S. Army.

“I’ve been to war three different times, so I’m used to hearing or getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning reacting to violence.”

Hill was recalling the early Sunday morning violence was right outside of his doorway at East 72nd and Park Avenue. He said he got to his door just in time to see gunfire coming from a vehicle at the intersection already riddled with bullets.

“Four young men got out of the vehicle running toward 73rd Street,” he said.

The gun battle stretched to Gregory and Prospect. A "Citywide Assist" call was put out on police radios prompting what Kansas City, Missouri Police Captain Stacey Graves called the largest police presence she’d ever seen. Cops from Leawood, Kan., to Ferrelview, Mo., helped search for victims or suspects.

In all seven people were shot, as well as several vehicles and homes. Hill’s neighbor found three bullet holes in his house and both of his cars shot.

“When they shoot, they have no idea who they may hit, so they don’t care about the next life that they may take,” Hill said.

Hill’s daughter’s car ended up with a bullet hole in the hood. His truck was spared Sunday, but was shot earlier this month when another gun battle take place on the very same street.

"Hopefully whatever happens in this area again, law enforcement does something about it. It’s not fair to me, it’s not fair to neighbors, it’s not fair to nobody where you live at to wake up to gunfire.”

Police don’t expect this to be a quick investigation.

“Just with how many vehicles, how many people were involved, it’s going to take several weeks until we have a lot of answers,” Capt. Graves said.

Six of those seven people who were shot are out of the hospital, one remains in serious condition. One officer fired shots during the ordeal. One of the victims claims he was shot by police, but police say that is still under investigation.