MERRIAM, Kan. -- Now that a Shawnee Mission student has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting two classmates, some parents want to know if the 15-year-old boy will be allowed back in public school.
The boy pleaded guilty Thursday to two felony counts of aggravated battery, where the crimes have been determined to be sexually motivated.
As part of a plea deal he'll serve only 10 days in juvenile detention and then be placed on probation for two years.
He is still just a teenager, and the state has an obligation to educate him.
The Emergency Resources Director at Shawnee Mission Schools says the district is prepared for a unique situation like this one, where a teen is listed on the state sex offender registry.
"There’s been a variety of opportunities for people to transfer into the district with prior histories," John Douglass said. "Probably a notable case was a couple years ago we had students transfer in from private schools where they don’t have such restrictions after being placed on sex offender lists. Public schools are required to receive them."
The charges against the boy stem from a September incident at Shawnee Mission East High School involving two girls younger than 16. Prosecutors also charged the boy in another incident dating back to last year where he exposed himself to another young girl.
The boy will be listed on the Kansas sex offender registry for five years. Because he is a juvenile, his name is not available to the public, but police do have access to it.