Support Salvation Army Wildfire Relief

Strong odor resembling electrical smell sends multiple Liberty High School students to hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LIBERTY, Mo. -- Multiple students were transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure after an odor was reported at Liberty High School Wednesday.

The school's principal says they believe the odor, which resembled an electrical smell, was the result of a mechanical failure or an electrical heating unit.

“I was in German class, and the other German class next door said they smelled something weird," one student said. "It was making some people, making them feel weird. So we went to the LMC and suddenly the fire department shows up, and it became pretty chaotic.”

According to the school's principal, the fire department never detected any carbon monoxide or other obvious hazards.

EMS evaluated approximately 50 people after they reported feeling nauseated or light-headed. Four were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Classes are expected to continue as normal for the rest of the day.

Liberty High School sent to following email to parents as an update:

LHS Families,
I wanted to provide you an update to the situation from earlier this morning. The Liberty Fire Department, in conjunction with LPS Safety and Security, has concluded an assessment in the area affected by the odor and determined that it was a mechanical failure of an electrical heating unit. The odor that was detected resembled an electrical smell. The Fire Department never detected any carbon monoxide or other obvious hazards.

Classes are continuing as normal and plan to have a normal end to the school day.

As communicated in the earlier message, several students in the affected area were transported to local hospitals as a precautionary measure.

Thank you emergency personnel, along with LPS District Safety and Security and LHS staff for their responsiveness this morning.

As always, thank you for your partnership and don't hesitate contacting us with any questions!

Dr. April Adams
Liberty High School Principal

Multiple students were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure after an odor was reported at Liberty High School Wednesday, Dec. 14.

Multiple students were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure after an odor was reported at Liberty High School Wednesday, Dec. 14.

Spokesperson for the Liberty School District, Dallas Ackerman, initially told FOX 4, 15 were taken to the hospital. The fire chief on the scene has since provided an update and said only five students were transported to the hospital for treatment.