Chicken Fried Chicken: Pass on the naughty, choose the nice!
Chicken Fried Chicken (The Naughty Version)
o 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
o 1 cup flour
o 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
o 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
o salt and white pepper, to taste
o 3 eggs, lightly beaten with 1/3 cup milk
o 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
o vegetable oil
- Using a mallet gently beat the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness, or you may filet with a sharp knife.
- Combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in one bowl. Place the egg and milk mixture into another. Put the Panko bread crumbs into a third bowl. Dredge chicken with seasoned flour and pass through egg mixture. Shake off excess egg
- Now completely cover chicken breasts with Panko crumbs, pressing crumbs down gently if needed.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 325 F, or frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes in fryer, or 4 minutes on each side (or until no longer pink inside) and serve. You must reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Serve with desired sauce on side for guests to garnish as they prefer.
Crispy! Crunchy! Oven Fried Chicken Breasts (The NICE Version)
• 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper to season
• 3 each eggs beaten
• Four 6 ounce chicken breasts filets
1. Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
2. Stir together panko, olive oil and a pinch of seasoning. Spread on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. remove from oven and let cool.
3. Dip each piece of chicken in eggs, and then into the toasted bread crumbs. Pack on liberally.
4. Place breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet fitted with a baker’s rack, this elevates the chicken and keeps it from steaming by laying directly on the baking sheet.
5. Bake chicken until well browned and cooked through, 165 F, approximately 18-20 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes to crisp.
6. Serve with desired sauce, preferably a nice natural pan sauce slightly thickened.