KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Firefighters quickly put a stop to a fire at a Westport restaurant that sits below two apartments early Tuesday morning.
Crews were dispatched to Cupini's at 43rd and State Line Road after a tenant living in an apartment above the restaurant reported a smokey haze in their unit around 4:46 a.m.
By 6 a.m. firefighters had found the source of smoke. A fire investigator said a malfunctioning exhaust fan in the restaurant had caused nearby insulation and wood to smolder. The investigator says if crews had not found this, it could have turned into a much bigger fire.
The battalion chief says damages were minimal.
No injuries were reported.