Three checked out at hospital after high levels of carbon monoxide detected at Buca di Beppo

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Three employees were taken to the hospital Wednesday after the Kansas City Fire Department detected high levels of carbon monoxide at a popular County Club Plaza restaurant.

James Garrett with the Kansas City Fire Department says crews responded to Buca di Beppo near West 47th Street and Central Street just before 11 a.m.

In addition to the three taken to hospital, there were two others complaining of minor symptoms.

Firefighters were on the scene trying to determine where the carbon monoxide was coming from. They did say the reading inside Buca di Beppo read 300 parts per million. A safe reading for carbon monoxide is 10 parts per million.

According to firefighters, the levels were so high that neighboring businesses, such as The Walking Company had to clear out, too. Firefighters discovered the carbon monoxide reading inside that store was 70 parts per million.

A media represenative for the restaurant told FOX 4's Marcus Officer that the employees have been released from the hospital and are at home. They plan to reopen for dinner at 5 p.m. on Thursday.


Firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide at Bucca di Beppo Wednesday.