House fire in rural Clay County ruled accidental after homeowner says turkey roaster was left unattended

House fire in rural Clay County

CLAY COUNTY, Mo. — Firefighters battled a fire Wednesday night at a rural Clay County home, officials say.

Officials say the fire, located at a rural home in Smithville’s fire district, broke out shortly before 5 p.m. Wednesday.

The cause of the fire was deemed an accident. The homeowner said they think they left a turkey roaster unattended.

No one was hurt in the fire, but one cat was unaccounted for.

Smithville and Kearney fire departments worked to extinguish the fire, and the homeowner was on the scene.