The following represent brief/broad descriptions. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, to represent a comprehensive and/or exhaustive description of all the duties/responsibilities and requisite skills of each position.
The qualifications for the job include: four year college degree in journalism or related field preferred, one year of previous television news producing preferred, strong writing skills, basic p.c. and phone skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with co-workers and managers.
Successful candidates must be a strong writer on multiple platforms, able to produce a dynamic newscast capable of holding and growing an audience, organized, detail oriented, communicative and capable of completing multiple, complex tasks on deadline.
If you are interested in this position please apply online at www.tribunemediacareers.com. Please include a resume, completed application, link of one or more newscasts you’ve produced, and an indication of where you first learned of the position. WDAF Fox 4 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Local Account Executive/Sales Representative
WDAF is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Multi-platform Account Executive to grow our core broadcast business, interactive platforms and digital TV. The AE must develop new business across all platforms. The AE will negotiate rates, prepare and present avails and sales packages to agencies and direct advertisers. The AE will be expected to increase the share of business from existing accounts and create new non-traditional revenue opportunities while utilizing research to position the station as a premiere marketing vehicle and yourself as a marketing consultant. You will create and build relationships with all WDAF-TV, Antenna TV, This TV and fox4kc.com media clients. Candidate must have previous media sales experience. Use of Wide Orbit, Excel, Microsoft Word, Power Point and other technology is a plus. College degree preferred. EOE M/F/D/V
For consideration please apply to www.tribunemediacareers.com.
As part of the FOX 4 News team the newscast anchor/reporter collects and analyzes information about newsworthy events. The anchor/reporter must be able to prepare those stories for presentation in a live newscast and on multiple station platforms, including fox4kc.com and social media sites.
The major responsibilities of this job include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and execute live, compelling television newscasts.
- Receive assignment and/or evaluated news leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Gather, verify and priorities information regarding story through interviews observation and research
- Write clear, concise stories using proper grammar and vocabulary according to newsroom style and format standards.
- Use video effectively and creatively in information gathering, storytelling and story editing; understands the principles of video editing.
- Enterprise stories; cultivates sources for news stories; consistently brings ideas to daily news meetings.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current local national and international events and issues.
- Works effectively under pressure of multiple deadlines each day; meets those deadlines.
- Processes, prioritizes and communicates information clearly and accurately in an unstructured and sometimes distracting environment such as breaking news, live interviews or ad libbing.
- Work effectively with coworkers, including but not limited to news managers, photojournalists, video editors directors, anchors, engineers and producers.
- Use a clear, understandable and pleasant voice; must use proper phrasing, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and emotional range.
- Works effectively from the field or in studio setting using broadcasting equipment.
- Represents the station via public appearances and speeches.
- Maintains professional appearance based on newsroom stanards
- Works long hours or odd hours to report a story; may travel for stories; may be on air for extended period of time including breaking or developing news.
- Use computer software to write and edit stories. Use computer and internet to research stories.
- Post stories to station websites and social media sites
- Social media posting.
- Duties as assigned
- BA/BS degree or equivalent degree in journalism or related field
- Strong writing skills required.
- Journalism background and knowledge of AP style required.
- Strong graphics skills desired
- Strong computer skills desired
- Must be self-directing, self-motivating and able to work will with a diverse group of people
- Must be able to handle stress, including short deadlines
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be able to speak clearly (with or without corrective devices)
- Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Must be able to work assigned shifts which may include overnights, nights and weekends
- Ability to do other tasks as assigned by news management
For consideration please apply to www.tribunemediacareers.com Filter the job search by location, MO-Kansas City; 3030 Summit, to view all open positions at WDAF. Please indicate where you first learned of the position and include a resume, cover letter and link to past work. WDAF-TV and Tribune Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.
WDAF Fox 4 is accepting applications for an experienced newscast director to join our team. The applicant should work well under pressure and have 3-5 years directing or technical directing experience. The primary duties of the position include coding and directing automated newscasts, working in conjunction with producers to create an original and exciting newscast, and coding, operation of robotic cameras and some commercial editing.
For consideration, please apply at www.tribunemediacareers.com Filter the job search by location, MO-Kansas City; 3030 Summit, to view all open positions at WDAF. Please indicate where you first learned of the position. WDAF-TV and Tribune Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.
WDAF Fox 4 TV is seeking a photographer to join our news team. Duties will include photographing and editing news stories, special events and live shots creatively. Candidates should be able to operate microwave live vans and set up live shots. Understanding the use of lighting, photographic, audio and editing techniques in news production is required. We are seeking a self-starter who works well as a member of a team.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism/Broadcasting or related field preferred
• Two+ years television news experience
• Understand use of lighting, photographic, audio and editing techniques
• Expert at editing Final Cut Pro and Sony EX3
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving history required.
• Insures sound and picture quality of all stories shot.
• Works alone or with a reporter to shoot and edit stories for broadcast.
• Operates ENG microwave vans.
• Non-linear digital editing systems and related programs.
• The ability to read maps/use GPS and navigate quickly.
• Maintains inventory of all assigned equipment and responsible for its up-keep.
• Examines, maintains, and performs routine maintenance of any assigned equipment.
• Establish good working relationship with co-workers, officials and the public.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Dexterity to operate camera, VTR, etc. Vision to shoot and edit videotape. Ability to lift up to 100 pounds of equipment consisting of camera, VTR’s, tapes, tripods, batteries, etc. Ability to get into nooks, crannies, and high places to shoot video. Ability to read road maps. Works in all types of weather conditions. Dexterity for operating keys and buttons on computer and typewriter. Vision and hearing and vocal communication skills used to gather and report news. Ability to climb ladders and get in remote places to report stories. Ability to use radios, audio equipment, telephones, etc. in newsgathering.
For consideration please apply to http://www.tribunemediacareers.com Filter the job search by location, MO-Kansas City; 3030 Summit, to view all open positions at WDAF. Please indicate where you first learned of the position and include a resume, cover letter and link to past work. WDAF-TV and Tribune Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Part Time Production Assistant
The primary focus of the Part Time Production Assistant is to provide assistance for live newscasts and other in-studio production.
There are two main responsibilities for live newscasts:
1. Perform the role of Floor Manager by following the assigned rundown, guiding talent to designated areas, greeting and assisting guests for appearances and communicating instructions.
2. Operate the teleprompter.
Previous television studio experience and a related college degree are preferred.
Solid communication skills and the physical ability to lift heavy ladders and lights are required. Previous television studio experience and a related college degree are preferred. Lighting board experience.
If you are interested in this position please apply online at http://www.tribunemedia.com/#/?page_id=15562. Filter the Job Search by Location, US-MO-Kansas City, to view all open WDAF positions. Please include a resume, completed application, a link to past work and an indication of where you first learned of the position. WDAF Fox 4 and Tribune Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.