• Capture

    Joe’s Forecast: Cold Front Means Storms For Some

    A cold front to the north of KC will work its way into the region later this afternoon and tonight. As a result our thunderstorm chances should be on the increase later this afternoon (especially after 4PM). Cooler and drier air will finish off the weekend and the weather should be wonderful on Sunday and […]

  • explosion

    Clues point to arson in South KC house explosion

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Police confirm that the explosion that leveled a South Kansas City house Wednesday night was not caused by a gas explosion and is instead being investigated as a crime. Hours after the explosion, MGE confirmed that it had checked the area for a gas leaks after receiving reports of an odor. MGE […]

  • NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell held a press conference in New York on Friday, September 19th, 2014 to address the league's domestic violence issues.

    NFL’s Goodell vows to “get our house in order” regarding domestic violence

    NEW YORK (CNN) — Embattled NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell apologized Friday for what he said was his mishandling of the Ray Rice domestic violence scandal but vowed “now I will get it right and will do whatever is necessary to accomplish that.” Speaking at a Manhattan new conference amid calls for his resignation, Goodell announced […]

  • Graphic courtesy of MGN Online

    Early results suggest Scots reject independence

    EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) — Voters in Scotland turned out in unprecedented numbers for an independence referendum and early results Friday suggested they wanted to keep Scotland’s 307-year union with England. With 26 of 32 regional electoral centers reporting, the No side had about 54 percent of the vote to 46 percent for the Yes side. […]

  • Watzlawick

    USPS found to be at fault in metro mailman’s heat death from 2012

    INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — When a mail carrier died on the job, his wife blamed the Post Office for not taking his concerns about excessive heat seriously. The widow finally has closure two years after his death. All Kay Watzlawick has of her husband John are memories. They would’ve been married 35 years this year and […]

  • 1(1)

    Joe’s Weather Blog: Stuck In The Muck (THU-9/18)

    Not exactly a Chamber of Commerce morning out there with low clouds and/or fog starting off the day indicative of a ton of moisture in the lowest level of the atmosphere. Once again we’ll struggle to clear up this afternoon from I-70 southwards especially. Temperatures for KC will again be below average for highs. Forecast: […]

  • New hospital unit may have saved man from heart attack

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Jake Winship is an actuary who analyzes risk for insurers.  One day in August, Jake measured his own risk when he had chest and jaw pain.  He figured there was an 80 percent chance it was indigestion. “But I thought the 20 percent chance that it was something significant was probably […]

  • blackstone

    Lawyer: Secret children, living and dead, hidden by squalor for years

    BLACKSTONE, Mass. — It was a shocking and gruesome discovery: three dead infants found in a Massachusetts home so squalid that police officers had to search it in hazmat suits. Now, days later, as investigators continue to search through what the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office describes as the home’s “deplorable conditions (such as) massive […]

  • bow913-1

    Police search for armed bank robbery suspect in KCMO

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Police are searching for an armed suspect accused of robbing a bank. At approximately 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, officers were called to a reported robbery at the Bank of Weston, located at 6510 NW Prairieview Rd. in Kansas City, Mo. Witnesses said the suspect entered the bank, jumped the counter and […]

  • Superintendent Green at DonorsChoose.org event

    Google donates nearly $200,000 to Greater Kansas City area schools

    KANSAS CITY, Mo.  – On Wednesday, Google announced they are fully funding the classroom requests of every Greater Kansas City area teacher on the education crowd-funding site DonorsChoose.org. As a result of Google’s $194,370.90 donation, 152 Kansas City area teachers will receive materials for their 13,842 students; ranging from paper, pencils and books to laptops, […]

  • Firefighters discover a man dead outside a home on fire in Gladstone

    GLADSTONE, Mo. — A man was discovered dead outside a burning house in Gladstone early Tuesday morning, but investigators say it does not appear the man died as a result of the fire. Fire crews were called out to the 5800 block of North Howard at about 6:15 a.m. As firefighters were working to contain […]

  • image

    Respiratory virus suspected in Midwest children’s hospitalizations

    (CNN) — An unusual respiratory virus is sending hundreds of children to Missouri hospitals and possibly throughout the Midwest, officials say. The virus causes symptoms like a cold, except worse, and is prompting up to 30 children a day to seek care at one Kansas City hospital, where about 15% of the youngsters were placed […]