Try this simple and yummy pumpkin pie recipe as a healthy gluten-free and vegan alternative that is also free of white sugar, white flour, hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup commonly found in store bought pumpkin pies.
The mousse filling is good enough to eat by itself if you want to forgo the crust. The coconut butter gives the mousse a nice silky, melt in your mouth feeling. The healthy fat significantly increases the body's ability to absorb the beta carotene and other immune boosting carotenoids found in the pumpkin.
Pumpkin Mousse Filling
- 1 can organic pumpkin
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and soaked for ~30 minutes or so
- 4 tablespoons raw coconut butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Drain dates. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Good enough to eat by itself, or use as a pumpkin pie filling in the raw pecan date crust. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
* Coconut butter is not the same thing as coconut oil...it can be found in the peanut butter aisle at most natural food stores...it is made from ground coconut meat so retains all of the important nutrients found in a whole coconut)
Raw Pecan Date Crust
- 2 cups raw pecans and/or walnuts
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until nuts are finely chopped and incorporated with the dates to create a dough-like consistency. The dough will stick together when pinched, but should not stick to your hands. Depending on the moisture content of the dates, you may need to add more or less dates to reach desired consistency. If the dough is too dry or crumbly, then add one date at a time. If the dough is too sticky, then add ¼ cup of additional nuts at a time.
Press dough into bottom of pie pan or individual ramekins and top with pumpkin mousse filling. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. The mousse will be somewhat soft (it does not firm up like traditional pumpkin pie), however it can still be sliced through clean enough to create pie slices.