Oatmeal, Apple and Date Muffins
Jami Mitchell shares a recipe for Oatmeal, Apple and Date Muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, oatmeal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir in dates and walnuts. Whisk egg, applesauce, brown sugar and oil in another bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. (Do not over mix.) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool. Makes 12 muffins.
Per serving: 161 calories; 5 g fat ( 1 g sat , 2 g mono ); 18 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein;4 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.