Sprinkler System Douses Fire at Retirement Community

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OLATHE, Kan. — A fire at a retirement community is out thanks to the building’s sprinkler system. Firefighters were called to Greenwood Terrace in Olathe around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.

When fire crews went inside, they found a candle had ignited nearby clothes and a plastic hamper. A single  from the automatic fire sprinkler system – activated and extinguished the fire.

Two people who were inside the apartment say smoke alarms also alerted them to the fire. Firefighters from Olathe and Lenexa worked together at the scene. Fire and smoke damage is estimated at $2,000.

No one was hurt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.