MONROVIA, Calif. -- Man's best friend is being called a hero after saving a boy from a rattlesnake. Boone saved 14-year-old Daniel Whitman when a rattler coiled up in the corner of the family's back yard and was ready to strike.
The dog stepped between the teen and the snake and snake sunk its teeth into the dog and unleashed its poisonous venom. The boy said he could tell that something wasn't right with the dog.
"He started looking up and dozing off," Whitman said.
Whitman's father called police to kill the snake and rushed the brave dog to the emergency room. Boone had to undergo two anti-venom treatments over a two-day period because of the amount of swelling.
"The swelling was so bad that the fluid had nowhere else to go from the face so it went down into his neck and down into his front leg," said the boy's dad Dan Whitman.
The area where the poison entered Boone's face also began to peel.
"From what I understand is that the venom of a rattlesnake, it kills the skin and it will make it almost melt off the face," Dan Whitman said.
The boy's father says he's truly thankful for the dog's heroic act. Boone is expected to be okay.