Fireworks Torch House in South Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Firefighters say fireworks are to blame for a house fire in South Kansas City Wednesday morning.
They responded to the house in the 11400 block of Palmer Avenue around 2:45 a.m., after a smoke detector woke a family of three. When firefighters arrived the roof was engulfed. Investigators found the remains of a firework near the back deck and say flames quickly spread to the roof.
A relative tells Fox 4 there is extensive smoke and water damage inside the house. Firefighters estimate the damage to the structure and content to be $60,000.
Fireworks are banned in Kansas City, Missouri.
In 2010, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that fireworks caused more than 15,000 fires nationwide, including 1,100 structure fires.