Intense Fire Destroys Blue Springs Apartment Complex

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BLUE SPRINGS, Mo. -- Firefighters were called to the scene of a massive fire Wednesday afternoon in Blue Springs where heavy smoke and fire could be seen coming from the apartment building in the 600 block of Candletree.

Before firefighters arrived, neighbors rushed in to warn others and help them escape.

Kyle Estes-Walker says he saw the blaze and ran into the building to knock on every door he could.

"Hot. Couldn't see nothing. Smoke was coming out of the apartment and that's about it, just make sure everybody got out and nobody died," Estes-Walker said.

Pictures taken from our crew at the scene show the roof heavily damaged.

The fire spread rapidly and firefighters had to call a third alarm.

Neighbors say they thought the fire started on the second floor and may have been caused by either a barbecue grill or fireworks.

So far there is no report of serious injuries, although one older man was found in a stairwell with a slight injury and was treated. Firefighters say the stairwell was not in the area of the fire.

Another man was taken away in handcuffs as he tried to go back inside the burning building to rescue his pets. Initially, firefighters thought some pets may not have survived the fire, however by Thursday morning all pets were accounted for.

One man saw the smoke and realized it was his mother's apartment.

"All of a sudden I'm calling her and finally I get a hold of her and my aunt and, yeah, pretty worried about it," said Shawn Ventimiglia.

He rushed to the scene to help his mother and said she is shaken up by what she may have lost.

"She's alright but she's also worried about the apartment, and you know.. her whole life is right there," said Shawn.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s