Improper Wiring Caused Electrocution of Two Children at Lake

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. —  Authorities say improper wiring caused the death of a brother and sister who were electrocuted Wednesday while swimming in the Lake of the Ozarks.

The children have been identified as Alexandra Anderson, 13, and her younger brother Brayden Anderson, 8, from Ashland, Missouri, which is south of Columbia.

The children were swimming near a private dock at about noon in the Gravois arm of the lake when they were electrocuted.

Missouri State Highway Patrol troopers investigated the the source of the electricity and determined that there was no ground fault interrupter to monitor the electrical current and trip the electricity off if it sensed a problem.

“At this time the investigation is trying to determine exactly where that electricity came from,” said Sgt. Paul Reinsch with the Missouri Highway Patrol

“Well, I know they’ve got several docks there with slide,” Sgt. Reinsch said when asked about the most likely source of the electricity. “Pumps that pump water onto the slides. That could be a possibility.”

When the adults saw they were in trouble, they jumped into the water and also felt the electrical current.

Ambulance crews took them to the hospital in Osage Beach but doctors were not able to save them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s