KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Brian Finucane, of Fisher & Phillips managing partner and employment law attorney discusses how to talk politics in the workplace without causing an uproar.
How should you go about talking about controversial topics in the office?
- Know your employer`s rules/expectations
- Express your views respectfully
- Don`t bash or bother fellow employees
- Don`t display campaign stuff without permission
- Don`t pressure fellow employees for support
- Remember work time is for work
What rules should be established to encourage a conflict-free discussion?
- Figure out what rules are right for your workplace
- Communicate those rules/expectations
- Require professional and respectful conduct
- Don`t ignore troublemakers
- Don`t allow politics to disrupt work
- Promptly address and correct problems