Poisonous Mushrooms Pop Up in Missouri

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLAYTON, Mo. -- Potentially dangerous mushrooms have caused about 25 people in Missouri to get sick in September. The mushrooms are showing up in yards across the state.

One neighbor, Kelly Schall says she noticed the mushrooms but didn't know they have such a negative effect on people.

"They randomly pop up every week," Schall said. "I never really thought about them being poisonous."

The Missouri Poison Center says any mushroom you find growing outside has the potential to be poisonous. Eating the wrong type of mushroom could cause vomiting, hallucinations or worse.

"There are cases where people have gone into liver failure from very toxic
mushrooms," said Dr. Anthony Scalzo with the Missouri Poison Center.

Often times children are the victims of eating poisonous mushrooms because they're being adventurous.

"There are the poisonous mushrooms and then some non poisonous mushrooms," he said. "It's very hard to distinguish between them sometimes. So in general we recommend that people don`t forage."



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.