Teens Drink Entire Bottles of Cough Syrup
PEARLAND, Texas — Four students in Texas were rushed to the hospital after police say they intentionally drank cough syrup.
Police said the boys; two are 14-years old and two are 15-years old, ingested the medicine in one of the school’s restrooms. One of the boys had brought four bottles of Delsym cough syrup and each boy drank a bottle each.
After the boys returned to class, a teacher noticed one of the students acting strangely and appearing to be in some kind of distress. The teacher sent him to the nurse, who discovered he had elevated blood pressure and heart rate. He admitted he drank the cough syrup and eventually told that his friends had, too.
“I wonder, what’s the rationale behind that? I guess maybe they wanted to go home or something. Kids does things that I don’t understand,” said one parent.
Delsym is a strong medicine with a 12-hour time release, meant to be taken in teaspoonfuls.
Authorities also say the students may face public intoxication charges.