Halloween Safety for Your Pets

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Kris Pippin, DVM, from Tomahawk Animal Hospital brought Kime the Great Dane, and talked about the dangers of Halloween candy for your pets.

Chocolate Dangers:
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Theobromine is a naturally occurring stimulant in the cocoa bean. It causes increased urination, affects the central nervous system as well as the heart muscle. Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, seizures, hypothermia, muscle tremors and even death can occur depending on the amount ingested. Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine. (White contains the least.) Also the size of the pet plays a role.

Sugarless Gum:
Sugarless gum is deadly for dogs. It contains xylitol, which can cause a drop in the dogs blood sugar and also effect the liver and cause blood clotting issues. There can be vomiting, stumbling, seizures, hypoglycemia and death. Candy in general is bad for dogs because they are more sensitive to sugar.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.