The crew from "Smoke on Wheels" - a pro barbecue team from KCK - is here with a preview of the skills they are going to show off at the the 24th Annual Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbecue in Lynchburg, Tenn. on October 27.
Click here for more info from Smoke On Wheels.
Smoke on Wheels Marinated Tri-tip
- 2 - 2.5lb Tri-tip roasts
- 1 - 16oz Bottle Smoke on Wheels BBQ Marinade
- 4oz - Cattleman's Grill Tri-Tip Seasoning
1. Marinate meat for 3-4hr under refrigeration.
2. Remove meat from Marinade, and brush off excess. Allow to stand 10 minutes.
3. Rub meat liberally with the tri-tip seasoning, Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. While meat rests, prepare your cooker for direct and indirect medium-high heat.
5. After cooker is pre-heated, place tri-tip over direct heat, and sear until nicely chared, about 10 minutes. Flip over and sear other side.
6. Move the tri-tip over the indirect area, close lid, and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 130 degrees F, ~20 minutes.
7. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes.
8. Slice the meat against the grain, on a bias.
Tri-tip rub alternative:
- 1 TBS Garlic Pepper (coarse grind)
- 1 TBS Lemon Pepper
- ½ TBS Kosher Salt
- ½ TBS Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp Jalapeno salt
- 1lb Apple Cider Cured Bacon
- ½ Cup Brown sugar
- ½ tsp Chipotle powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
1. Mix brown sugar and peppers
2. Coat both sides of bacon liberally with sugar blend
3. Place on rack or frogmat in 275 degree cooker.
4. Cook indirectly until bacon is fully cooked.
5. Place on greased or Teflon cooling rack for 5 minutes.