Manda Buff with In the Mix Desserts has some great seasonal cupcake ideas.
Spice Spiked Eggnog
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 12 Tbsp. of butter, softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup egg nog
- 1/3 cup spiced rum (like Captain Morgan)
Makes approximately 24 cupcakes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake/muffin tins with baking cups.
1. Combine self-rising, all-purpose flour, and spices in a bowl and set aside
2. Cream sugar and butter together in until light and fluffy (2 - 3 minutes)
3. Add eggs one at time to the sugar and butter mixture
4. Alternate dry ingredients and egg nog/rum into the butter/sugar/egg mixture until combined.
5. Fill cupcake tins to 2/3 to 3/4 from the top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.
7. Cool completely before frosting.
Options - you can omit the rum from the mixture altogether, just add 1 tsp vanilla extract. If you wish to reduce the flavoring of the egg nog, adjust the egg nog with whole milk. For example, 3/4 cup of eggnog to 1/4 cup milk. Spices can be omitted altogether.
Spiked Eggnog Butter Cream
- 6 cups of sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1 1/2 stick of butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons of egg nog
- 3 tablespoons of spiced rum
1. Whip butter until light and fluffy (2 - 3 minutes)
2. Slowly alternate the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, egg nog, and rum until you reach the desired consistency.
3. Whip frosting to get a light and fluffy texture for 2 minutes if you desire.
4. Spread frosting or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Options - if you wish to have more rum than egg nog in the frosting, then adjust the rum/egg nog by tablespoons. For example, more rum, 4 tablespoons of rum to 2 tablespoons of egg nog. If you wish to omit rum, replace rum with milk or go all egg nog. Also, egg nog, 1/8 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract as an another alternate.