OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- Resolutions? We make them big and then fail big. One Kansas City doctor says instead, focus on adding one keystone habit in the new year. Dr. James O'Keefe, a cardiologist at St. Luke's Hospital, says a keystone habit is one that starts a chain reaction and can transform your life.
Dr. O'Keefe suggests you try one of these five habits that is not yet in your routine:
- 1. Sleep seven to eight hours nightly.
- 2. Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes daily.
- 3. Eat two colors and one healthy protein at each meal.
- 4. Floss and brush your teeth daily.
- 5. Think of three blessings for which you are grateful each night before dozing off or upon awakening in the morning.
Fox 4 Medical Reporter Meryl Lin McKean talked with Dr. O'Keefe about why each of those is a keystone habit.