Autopsy Report: Kasi Perkins Shot Nine Times, Belcher Intoxicated

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Jackson County Medical Examiner's officer released the autopsy results of Jovan Belcher and Kasi Perkins -- who died Dec. 1 in a murder-suicide in Kansas City, Mo.

According to the report, Kasi Perkins was shot nine separate times -- once at close range. That injury was located in the right hand, the bullet traveling back to front. The eight other gunshot wounds were located in the legs, hip, abdomen, back, chest and neck and were not considered close-range wounds. The Jackson County Medical Examiner ruled her death a homicide.

Jovan Belcher's autopsy report indicated he had twice the legal driving limit of alcohol in his system at the time of his death, which was ruled a suicide.

According to Kansas City, Mo., police, Belcher, 25, shot and killed 22-year-old Perkins at the east Kansas City home they shared with their three-month-old daughter and Belcher's mother on Saturday, Dec. 1, before driving to the Chiefs practice facility near Arrowhead Stadium where he took his own life in front of former Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel, former general manager Scott Pioli, linebackers coach Gary Gibbs and at least two other team officials.

While the police report focuses on Belcher and the people directly involved in the chain of events that culminated with his suicide at the Chiefs practice facility, it does not shed much light on Perkins' side of the story -- including insight into thoughts she may or may not have shared with others on the couple's apparently troubled relationship.

According to the report, Belcher and Perkins had spent the final evening before the incident apart. Belcher had been partying with another girlfriend and others at the Power and Light District, while Perkins had attended a concert at the Sprint Center with her cousin.

(Editors Note: Perkins actually attended a Trey Songz concert at the Midland Theater on the evening of November 30, not at the Sprint Center as mentioned in the KCPD report.)

Police say that the night before the incident, Belcher, apparently intoxicated, spent about two hours sleeping on the couch of two women who lived in a building in the 700 block of East Armour Blvd. According to the police report, one of the women had seen Belcher kissing another woman outside of the building near his Bentley.

The two women say that they had seen Belcher around the building before, and that night he had come to their door while they were up watching movies after the woman he was seen kissing didn't answer her phone or come to her door. They said they gave him a blanket and pillow to sleep on their couch. Belcher then slept until around 6:30 a.m., then left around 6:45 a.m.

Police said Belcher's other girlfriend said he had sent her a text in late October or early November saying that he would shoot his child's mother if she didn't leave him alone, but the woman told police that she thought Belcher had sent the text in a joking manner. In addition, she told police that Belcher said that Perkins threatened to take all of his money and his child if they split up.

She said that Belcher also told her that Perkins knew exactly how to "press his buttons" and make him angry. She also added that during that last night together at the Power and Light District, Belcher seemed a little quiet, and that at one point she asked if he was okay. He said yes.

Police say that when they arrived at the Belcher home in the 5400 block of Crysler shortly before 8 a.m., Belcher's mother -- Cheryl Shepard -- told them that she was inside the house when she heard her son and Perkins arguing, with Belcher saying, "Don't say that to me," followed by the sounds of gunshots. Shepard said that her son then knelt down to kiss Perkins, saying "I'm sorry," before kissing Shepard and then the baby -- all the while repeatedly saying he was sorry.

Shepard, who told police that she moved in with the couple a few weeks earlier to help with the couple's infant daughter, then said that Belcher walked out of the house, got into a black Bentley and left. She then told police that she "had a feeling" that her son was going to kill himself.

Follow FOX 4 on Facebook | Twitter | Send a news tip | Get email alerts

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.