Grease fire prompts brief evacuation of OP apartments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — Fire crews say a grease fire is to blame for an apartment fire Tuesday evening in Overland Park.

Around 6:30 p.m., crews were called to the Four Winds Apartments, 10000 block of W. 80th St., after a woman said she was cooking when she had a fire in her kitchen.

As a precaution, the building was evacuated. Everyone was allowed back into their apartments except where the fire occurred, firefighters said.

Fire crews said the woman attempted to put the grease fire out with flour and a fire extinguisher, but the fire was too large.

The Overland Park Fire Department offered a tip for people to keep a cookie sheet near their stove and slide it on top of a pan that is on fire, which will smother it. Firefighters added not to move the pan or attempt to put out the fire. You should then get out and call 911.

No one was hurt in the incident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.