MISSION, Kan. - A boxer pup is recovering Wednesday after a rescue organization said he was near death when they finally got to him.
President of Unleased Pet Rescue Danielle Reno said "Valentino" was in such bad shape he had maggots eating away at his flesh.
Reno said the bloody boxer first arrived at Dearborn Animal Clinic Tuesday. She said one of his back legs was essentially dead, and it and his back side were full of maggots.
"For a limb to completely die and still be connected to him, it's extremely painful and then for the maggots to infect it like it did, it's just unimaginable. It's one of the worst that I've seen in a long time," Reno said.
The story Reno said they've been told, is a Kansas City, Kan., family found Valentino tangled up in wire on a fence on July 4. She said the family believed he was spooked by the holiday fireworks. Reno said the family put him in a crate on their back porch on some of the hottest days of the year so far.
She said it took five days before anyone called her rescue organization.
"I don't know exactly how it came to be but it shouldn't have taken this long to get him help," Reno said.
Stephanie Henshaw, a veterinarian technician with the clinic, said they believe Valentino is anywhere between 8 to 10 months old. Henshaw said his spirits are up, but it was pretty bad when they first took him in.
"He was extremely lethargic, very dehydrated, hot, emaciated obviously, he's pretty skinny, he had a fever of 104.5," Henshaw said.
"I'm very confident that in a matter of a few weeks once we get that leg off and get him healed a little, he's going to be up and running like a normal four-legged dog," Henshaw said.
Henshaw said the surgery will cost about $2,000. She said Valentino will undergo the surgery on Thursday. But she and Reno said they are looking for donations to cover it.
If you would like to help, visit www.unleashedrescue.com, specifying you'd like to make your donation to Valentino's cause.
Henshaw said Valentino will remain at the clinic for at least another week. She'll then go to her foster home to recover.