Girl, 13, dies in her father’s arms from peanut allergy reaction

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Courtesy KCRA and Mike Teselle

Natalie Giorgi Courtesy KCRA and Mike Teselle

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The heartbreaking death of a 13-year-old girl in California has many groups and parents re-examining their procedures about food allergies as the new school year approaches.

Natalie Giorgi was on an annual camping trip with her family when she bit into a rice-krispy dessert treat that was covered in frosting that contained peanut butter, according to KCRA-TV.

Natalie suffered from a peanut allergy, and even though she spit out the food, she began vomitting and fell into anaphylactic shock within 20 minutes.

KCRA reports that her father injected her with three EpiPens to counteract the allergic reaction, but she died in his arms.

The family released a statement, hoping others might avoid their heartbreak.

“As our hearts are breaking over this tragedy, we hope others can learn from this that food allergies are life-threatening,” the statement said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.