Popeye loves spinach. And so does Lenexa! Susanne Neely and Mary Wolarik told us about the 30th annual Lenexa Spinach Festival and how you can reap the benefits of the leafy green!
Health benefits of spinach:
- Spinach is known as one of the world's healthiest foods
- 1 cup of spinach provides 20 percent of the RDA for Fiber, twice as much as other greens
- Contains lutein (a phytochemical), which protects the eyes by preventing age-related macular degeneration
- Served raw, spinach is a great source of Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant
- It contains abundant potassium, which is essential in heart health
- Because cooking concentrates nutrients and fiber, a serving of cooked
spinach gives you even more bang for your buck than a serving of raw!
The 30th Annual Lenexa Spinach Festival is happening on Saturday, September 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. It will be at the Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park, located at the corner of 87th Street Parkway & Lackman Road in Lenexa, Kan.
Admission: $1 for adults; kids under 13 get in free
Free shuttles from 9-4.
Recipe for Green Monster Muffins
Preheat oven - 350 degrees; prepare muffin pan - spray with cooking spray.
1 cup wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup almond flour/meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
In a separate bowl, whisk together:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup packed finely chopped spinach
Chopped walnuts - options
Whisk together dry and wet ingredients. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full - bake
14-17 minutes; cool 10-15 minutes.