News of the typhoon hits close to home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORTH KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- News of the typhoon hit close to home for one team member at WDAF. The wife of a Fox 4 photographer happens to be from one of the areas in the Philippines hit the hardest by the heavy storm. She hasn't heard from several of her family members since the storm hit, and so far her efforts to contact them have failed.

Suyen Silvestri has called the past 24 hours, torture. She has 12 family members, including her mother, who are still considered missing at this point, and she is praying that when she does hear something, that it is only good news.

"The last call I made was at 5:30 in the afternoon on Thursday here in the states, and that was 7:30 in the morning over there, Friday which was the start of the whole thing," said Silvestri.

Silvestri said that in the days leading up to the storm, she begged her mother to evacuate from Bantayan Island in the Philippines to safer ground on the mainland.

"She told me she will not do it because she will not leave the school. I told her, your life is really in danger if you won't leave," said Silvestri.

Silvestri's mother owns a private school on the island and was convinced she would be safe there.

"She had too much faith the Lord will protect her and God will help her, and I told her God helps people who help themselves," she said.

Now that the strong typhoon has passed, photos reveal absolute devastation on Bantayan Island and Silvestri still hasn't heard a word from her mother.

"I have not slept," she said. "My resource would just be tweets, updates from the internet and I've talked to other people who can link me...word of mouth."

The good news is that a list of the discovered deceased on the island has been released and her mother's name isn't on it. Her other 11 extended family members who are missing, who live on the mainland area called Cebu City, are also not mentioned on the fatality list. At this point, they are all just considered missing.

"I am just crossing my fingers they are ok," said Silvestri.

Silvestri said she is confident her mother saw her way through the storm, but wonders why she hasn't bothered to reach out to her daughter who is sick with worry.

"24 hours after the disaster, why has she not even asked anybody to go to the mainland and give us an idea of how she's doing?" asked Silvestri.

Silvestri said her brother who lives on the mainland is on his way to Bantayan Island Saturday night to try and track down their mother. He's also taking supplies for storm victims.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.