South KC home goes up in flames

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Flames and smoke could be seen coming from a house at 101st and Hillcrest in South Kansas City Friday morning.

The fire was reported at about 6:15 a.m. at the home near the Grandview Triangle.

Firefighters believe the fire started in a bedroom in a space heater.

The grandmother had just left for work, while a mother and two-year-old child were still asleep when the fire broke out.

The mother said she heard the smoke alarm, but believes it was slow to detect the danger.  They escaped without injuries and the Red Cross was helping the family with their immediate needs.

According to James Garrett with the KCMO Fire Dept., firefighters were able to douse the fire quickly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.