Dave’s Herb-Stuffed Mushrooms
A note from Lisa (Cooking with Lisa): I really love stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer, but often they are typically stuffed with sausage and cheese and contain up to 15g. fat & 5g. saturated fat per serving. This recipe removes the sausage and cheese and adds finely diced mushrooms, garbanzo beans & sun-dried tomatoes.
- 8 large mushrooms (approx.. 3” diameter)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup white onion
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped fine
- ¾ cup canned, drained, no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean mushrooms with a paper towel or vegetable brush; remove stems to use for filling.
- While the oven in warming, put mushroom caps (open side down) in over for 10 minutes. This will prepare the caps for stuffing.
- Chop the garlic and onions and saute with 1 teaspoon olive oil. One minutes before they are finished, add the four herbs. After 1 minute, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mash mushroom stems and chickpeas.
- Add all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet and the mushroom caps.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown.
- Remove from over, sprinkle with an herb of your choice, and enjoy.
Nutrition Information per portion (2 stuffed mushrooms):
Calories: 209, carbohydrates: 35g, dietary fiber: 8g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 0g, sodium: 130mg.
(½ oz. grains, 1 ½ cups vegetables)